Sunday, February 21, 2010

Beef and Broccoli w/ Rice

Sorry its been a while since my last post. It has been really difficult to cook lately with the first round of exams and everything. This is a recipe I've tweaked to my liking. I make it when I crave chinese.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons cooking sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce
6 cloves minced garlic (1 tablespoon jarred minced garlic)
dash of crushed red pepper (if you like it with a little heat)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 pound beef tenderloin, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into strips
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 bunch of broccoli (trimmed to florets)
2 cups steamed brown rice (prepared according to package)

Directions

Place sherry, soy sauce, garlic, red pepper, sesame oil, and beef in plastic bag.

Seal bag and squeeze out air.

Place bag in refrigerator for at least an hour (its best if you can do it overnight)

Drain marinade into bowl with 1/8 cup water and cornstarch. Stir until dissolved.

Heat skillet with canola oil and cook meat until no longer pink. Remove meat and place aside.

Add broccoli florets and marinade mixture into skillet and stir-fry for 1 minute. Cover until cooked through.

Put beef back in skillet and heat together.

Serve on top of steamed brown rice.


I love this recipe because it doesn't take very long to prepare and its a healthy and cheap alternative to take out chinese. You can use chicken instead of beef to mix it up a little bit! I always serve this with a vegetable egg roll from the freezer section of the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog