Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Shepard's Pie


My dad LOVES shepard's pie so I figured I could come up with healthier recipe. I also had limited time so I used refrigerated mashed potatoes instead of making them from scratch which would have made it a little healthier. It tasted great though and he didn't complain about it being tomato based instead of beef stock based. Hope you try this and enjoy! --7 PP for 1/6-- (Also, sorry the picture isn't great. I forgot to take it before we put the leftovers away)

Ingredients:

9 oz 90% lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 container refrigerated mashed potatoes
1/3 cup ww shredded mexican style cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Brown ground beef and onion in skillet
Drain of fat
Add tomatoes, sauce, mixed vegetables, rosemary, salt, and pepper
Cook until vegetables are warmed through
Pour into casserole dish
Spread mashed potatoes evenly on top
Bake for 10 minutes
Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese
Bake additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog