Okay. This may not be the healthiest thing in the world but it is certainly delicious! I first had Beef and Guinness Stew while visiting friends in Ireland last summer. Upon first bite, Corinne (my travel buddy) and I fell in love with this magical dish. It took me a while to try to re-create it but I figured St. Patrick's Day would be the perfect day to try. The meat came out so tender it was amazing and of course I enjoyed a bottle of Guinness and Irish soda bread with it. Here's how I made my favorite dish from Ireland (feel free to try your own spin on it)!--14 PP per 3/4 cup--
Ingredients:
1 lb stewing beef (its easy because its already cut up)
2 Tbs flour
2 small onions, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 bottle Guinness
1/2 cup fat free beef broth
1/2 tsp ground thyme
2 cups mashed potatoes (I had leftovers from previous meal but you can buy packaged)
Directions:
Coat skillet with cooking spray
Brown beef in skillet (do not strain)
Move beef to crock pot and toss with flour
Add onions, carrots, and celery to skillet with beef drippings
After softened, add garlic
Deglaze the pan using half of the bottle of Guinness
Pour vegetable mixture over meat in crock pot
Add remaining Guinness and beef broth
Stir in thyme
Cook on low heat for 8 hours
Top with dollop of mashed potatoes
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Beef and Guinness Stew
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment