Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stuffed Green Peppers




To be honest, the only reason I made this dish was because I had a LOT of bell peppers as well as already cooked rice. I know it may seem lazy but if you plan ahead and know that you're going to be using ingredients multiple times in a week then by all means prep them just 1 time. I knew I'd be making chicken fried rice and bell peppers so I cooked all of the rice at the same time. I also usually dice a couple onions at the beginning of the week and keep them in a bag in my refrigerator. Mom likes this because she can use it for omelets in the morning and it makes cooking after work a whole lot quicker. :-) Anyway, this is pretty simple and can actually be made the night before or morning of. Just do everything but the baking. Its nice to just come home and throw dinner in the oven. You can also probably make this in the crock pot if you prefer really tender green peppers. I like a little crunch so I bake them. Its up to you!--5 PP each--

Ingredients:

9 oz 90% lean ground beef
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 cup canned tomato sauce
4 green bell peppers, tops and seeds removed
1 cup reduced sodium V8

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Heat skillet to medium high heat
Brown ground beef in skillet with onion
Drain of fat
Add rice, garlic powder, and black pepper
Pour 1/2 cup tomato sauce into mixture
Stir until everything is combined
Divide filling into 4 equal parts
Fill peppers with meat mixture
Top each pepper with remaining tomato sauce
Place peppers in baking dish
Pour V8 along bottom of dish
Cover dish with aluminum foil to steam peppers
Bake in oven 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on tenderness preference

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog